Thursday

Johnnie Cochran


There really is no easy way to say goodbye to Johnnie Cochran. Some will remember him as the slick dressing, smooth talking, rhyming lawyer who brought home an acquittal for O.J. Simpson. There are others who will remember him for Geronimo Pratt. I didn’t know Mr. Cochran and never had the pleasure of making his acquaintance but I will miss him. Never again will I walk the streets with the same feeling of security that I once had now that he is gone.

I remember when there were worse things on the streets than gang bangers – cops. I remember when it was open season on Black Males and the CRASH unit patrolled Rampart Division with impunity – Pete, Jim, Sgt. Stone, Adam 12 – no thanks, I’ll take my chances with the gangs. I don’t want to end up a Wiki article like Amadou Diallo.

No, things will never be the same. That small measure of confidence in the potential equity of the criminal justice system that Johnnie Cochran fought so hard to maintain in the Simpson trial has been eroded over the years by election results from Florida, presidential appointments from the bench (talk about activist judges), and “Vendetta Legislation” from prosecutors in the Michael Jackson case in which “uncharged, unproven allegations” will be admitted into evidence.

I hope that when the mourning is over people will realize that, like him or not, Johnnie Cochran was one hell of a lawyer and an incredible salesman. He alone sold me on the dream of Justice in America. After Houston and Marshall, perhaps history will begin to understand Johnnie Cochran as one of the last paladin of the American ideal of Justice. Who will save Justice now? For where there is no Justice there can be no . . .

Peace Johnnie.

Cy