Tuesday

Remeber When BET was . . . ?

What happened to BET?

Hey! Remember when BET was a Black OWNED broadcasting company rather than a Black “Oriented” broadcasting company? I know that conventional capitalist ethics are supposed to curtail my criticism of what a ridiculous move it was for Johnson to sell BET. I’m sure the Charlotte Bobcats are going to be a hell of a team and that, somehow, as the first Black billionaire Bob Johnson is going to figure out a way to not look like a novice at this money/power thing.

“I am Not a Hater”

I just don’t get it.

Most rich and powerful people I know would kill to be able to reach the population of the richest, most powerful, nation in the history of the world (79 million households and 95% of Black households). They might give, oh say, $2.2 billion.

Not Bob!

Maybe I’m just impatient. I just can’t see what the master sees. His great plan is unfolding; somewhere in the course of history there is a reason that Bob sold BET. There has to be a reason why, in a democracy (a form of government dependent upon and determined by the mediated exchange of ideas and information) someone would sell autonomous accesses to 79 million households.

Is it me or does anyone else wonder what the debate would have sounded like if Black America had an independent voice in 2000?

What’s left? Now that Tom Joyner has sold out (please tell us you at least retained controlling interest), TV One a sad imitation, and Tavis putting contracts out on Black America (been there done that), perhaps it is time we just throw in the towel and all follow Oprah!